For three days 3-5 December 2019, foreign and Polish children from forms I-III of primary schools in the Opolskie Voivodeship participated in integration events - Saint Nicholas’ Day Party! In total, the number of 100 children from 11 primary schools (no.: 1,2,5,8,10,14,15,20,21, 25,29) took part in the event. Foreign children were mainly from Ukraine and Belarus.
Mikołajki are free of charge, co-financed from the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund within the framework of the "Together for Integration" project implemented by the Opole Voivode and the University of Opole. Saint Nicholas’ Day Party is organised by the "Smocza Jama" playroom from Opole, the contractor selected as a result of a request for proposal.
The aim of Saint Nicholas’ Day Party is to familiarise foreign children with Polish Christmas traditions, to familiarise them with their new state, to meet new colleagues, and to integrate Polish children with multiculturalism.
Numerous attractions were organised for children and a rich programme was prepared, such as:
• workshops of creating Christmas tree decorations (chains, baubles, cards) which will be hung by children on Christmas trees. During the workshops, Polish, Ukrainian and Belarusian traditions in decorating homes for Christmas and Christmas will be discussed
• culinary workshops - gingerbreads decoration. During workshops, discussions about culinary traditions in children's home countries
• boxes decoration workshops, where children will hide their ginger thins in the boxes
• taking part in the game "Looking for traces of Santa Claus", playing in mixed groups (Polish-foreign children). Santa left a letter with tasks to do!
• visit of Santa Claus, who will give presents to all children for a poem or a song
• singing Christmas carols and playing with Santa together
• eating pizza together.
Integration events for children from the Opolskie Voivodeship are organised for the third time. In 2018 these were trips in the Opole region, in spring 2019 to Kraków and Wieliczka, now before Christmas, we organize them in the form of attractive and cheerful Saint Nicholas' Day Party. In total, 169 children have participated in them so far, so together with the current Saint Nicholas' Day Party we have integrated about 270 children!